First Draft


An Incomplete Painter



The vibrating sound echoed through the silence studio with cluttered objects on the floor. The sound of me moving and groaning from lack of sleep on the gray couch and rummaging for the phone. I tried to open my eyes to answer the call, but the light from the window made me squint. I looked at the name displayed on the screen, sighing heavily before answering the call.

“Hel…” I spoke, before I could finish my sentence, she interjected


“Elise!!! You have to listen to this… Blaire, she is horrible. She doesn’t understand me at all!!” She said in a grumble tone.


“It’s just a small mistake. You should let it go sometimes, Rene” I answered. I hold my head to the troublesome story of my best friend.


I slowly sat myself up on the couch and let Rene complain until she felt satisfied and finally hung up. I got up, twisted a little. I looked at myself in the mirror, I’m still in the same outfit from last night, a green long-sleeved hoodie with old and new painting stains, old jeans and long brown hair tied in a casual bun.


Today's weather is so beautiful which is completely different from what I am right now. The pleasant blue sky contrasted with white clouds that looked soft as a cotton candy made me feel slightly better. I glanced back at the painting frame which leaning against the wall - an incomplete painting


I walk to flip the frame, sit down on the wooden floor and shift a little bit to get comfortable. I start searching for the paint tubes and brushes that pile up beside the canvas. I raised the brush in my hand ready to add some color to my work.


And that’s when the phone rings again. I paused, put down the brush and let out a huge sigh, as if knowing the big trouble was coming again. I turned around, grabbed my phone and took a deep breath, ready to answer another troublesome call.


“Elise!!! Rene, she really drives me crazy! She doesn’t even try to listen to me.” She said, as soon as I answered the call


“Eugene, You three can’t stop causing trouble, can you? You should let it go sometimes.” I replied tiredly


But Eugene paid no attention to it and continued to complain. All I could do was sit and listen to her murmur as I rolled my eyes in the mix of frustration and exhaustion. I listened to her murmur until the end. The blue sky was dyed in orange and yellow, a sign that the sun was setting.


After a few minutes of hanging up from Eugene, I turned my attention back to the artwork I had left behind. I examine the painting once again before deciding to raise the brush again - It has to finish within today.


Before I could even put my brush on the canvas, the phone rang for the third time of the day. I groaned loudly when the sound of a vibrating phone pierced through the silent studio where only the sound of the air conditioner and my breath could be heard. I hesitated for a while whether to answer or ignore the incoming call but in the end, I picked it up - the worst decision ever.


“Elise, Listen! Eugene and Rene…” She immediately spoke up. Before she could finish the sentence, I, who was impatient with today’s event, finally interjected.


“Blaire, seriously this is like forty? fifty? calls that you three called me this week complaining about what you claimed as big problems, which is Rene bought Eugene the wrong lipstick because she couldn’t differentiate between raspberry pink and hot rose lipstick, or when Eugene missed a spoonful of sugar in your tea, or when you forgot to wake Rene to her class.” I was boiling at the end of the call.


I threw my phone nonchalantly on the floor before collapsing on the couch in exhaustion. I stared at the painting that was still leaning on the same place. I stared at the frame as if drawn by the frame as I hurried to complete it. I suddenly got up and walked closer to the painting


“I definitely should call a therapist” I muttered to myself before grabbing my phone which was still lying-in front of the canvas - It was such a tough day.

ความคิดเห็น

บทความที่ได้รับความนิยม